Christophe obtained his Master in Biology (2003) and PhD in Computer Science (2009) from ETH Zurich, Switzerland. After a postdoc at the European Bioinformatics Institute near Cambridge (UK), he joined University College London as lecturer (2013), then Reader (2015). In 2015, he joined the University of Lausanne as SNSF professor, retaining an appointment at UCL, where part of his lab remains active. Since 2016, Christophe is also a group leader at the Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics.
Christophe did his first degree in Biology at ETH Zurich, Switzerland (1999-2003). After half-year stints at Northwestern University (Evanston, USA), Tsinghua University (Beijing, China), and at Chulalongkorn University (Bangkok, Thailand), he returned to ETH Zurich at the Department of Computer Science for his PhD (2004-2009), under the supervision of Gaston Gonnet.
After being promoted to teaching faculty member (2010) and senior research associate (2011) at ETH Zurich, he moved to the EMBL-European Bioinformatics Institute in Hinxton, as a visiting scientist in Nick Goldman’s group funded by a fellowship of the Swiss National Science Foundation.
He moved to University College London in 2013 as a Lecturer on a joint appointment between the Department of Genetics, Evolution & Environment and the Department of Computer Science, and was promoted to Reader in 2015.
In autumn 2015, he joined UNIL as SNSF professor. He retains an appointment at UCL, where part of his lab remains active.
Since 2016, Christophe is also a group leader at the Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics.
A profile page in French is available here. There is also an interview in French here.
- Editor for PeerJ and BMC Evolutionary Biology
- Frequent peer-reviewer Publons profile page
- Steering committee member of the Quest for Orthologs consortium
- Coordinator of the ISCB Evolution and Comparative Genomics COSI
- Head of the UNIL Doctoral Program on Quantitative Biology
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics
- Conference organisation and programme committees (selected):
- ISMB/ECCB 2015, Area co-chair (applied bioinformatics)
- PC member of ECCB 2012, ISMB AFP 2013, BC 2015, AlCoB 2015, ISMB/ECCB 2015, ECCB 2016, ISMB AFP 2017, GenoPri’18
- Co-organizer of Quest for Orthologs 2 (Hinxton, 2011), 4 (Barcelona, 2015), 5 (Los Angeles, 2017), and 6 (Nagoya, 2019)
- Co-chair of the EMBL-EBI postdoc association (2012-2013)
- Co-founder of Young European Biotech Network (2001)
- Expert witness in patent disputes, with experience in the UK and in the US
Selected interviews and quotes are listed here