Christophe obtained his Master in Biology (2003) and PhD in Computer Science (2009) from ETH Zurich, Switzerland. After a postdoc at the European Bioinformatics Institute near Cambridge (UK), he joined University College London as lecturer (2013), then Reader (2015). In 2015, he joined the University of Lausanne as SNSF professor, retaining an appointment at UCL, where part of his lab remains active. Since 2016, Christophe is also a group leader at the Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics.
Christophe did his first degree in Biology at ETH Zurich, Switzerland (1999-2003). After half-year stints at Northwestern University (Evanston, USA), Tsinghua University (Beijing, China), and at Chulalongkorn University (Bangkok, Thailand), he returned to ETH Zurich at the Department of Computer Science for his PhD (2004-2009), under the supervision of Gaston Gonnet.
After being promoted to teaching faculty member (2010) and senior research associate (2011) at ETH Zurich, he moved to the EMBL-European Bioinformatics Institute in Hinxton, as a visiting scientist in Nick Goldman’s group funded by a fellowship of the Swiss National Science Foundation.
He moved to University College London in 2013 as a Lecturer on a joint appointment between the Department of Genetics, Evolution & Environment and the Department of Computer Science, and was promoted to Reader in 2015.
In autumn 2015, he joined UNIL as SNSF professor. He retains an appointment at UCL, where part of his lab remains active.
Since 2016, Christophe is also a group leader at the Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics.
A profile page in French is available here. There is also an interview in French here.
- Editor for PeerJ
- Editor for BMC Evolutionary Biology
- Guest editor for Briefings in Bioinformatics
- Reviewer for
Algorithms for Molecular Biology,
BMC Evolutionary Biology,
Briefings in Bioinformatics,
Genome Biology and Evolution,
IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing,
Molecular Biology and Evolution,
Nature Reviews Genetics,
Nucleic Acids Research,
PLOS Computational Biology,
Plant Cell Reports,
Trends in Evolutionary Biology.
- Area co-chair (applied bioinformatics) ISMB/ECCB 2015
- Member of programme committee of AFP SIG 2013
- Member of programme committee of ECCB 2012 and ECCB 2014
- Co-organizer of Quest for Orthologs 2, Hinxton (UK), 17-19 June 2011
- Co-chair of the EMBL-EBI postdoc association (2012-2013)
- Co-organizer of Zurich Colloquium for Computational Molecular Evolution
- Co-organizer of PhyloSIB 2009
- Co-founder of Young European Biotech
- Co-organizer of conference STARTbiotech
Selected interviews and quotes are listed here