Prof. Christophe Dessimoz
Associate Professor, University of Lausanne
Executive Director, Swiss Institute for Bioinformatics
Christophe Dessimoz is Associate Professor at the Department of Computational Biology, and Executive Director of the SIB Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics.
Christophe studied biology at ETH Zurich and obtained his PhD in computer science (2009) from the same institution. After a postdoc at the European Bioinformatics Institute near Cambridge (UK), he joined University College London as lecturer (2013), then reader (2015), then professor (2020). In 2015, he moved his main activities to the University of Lausanne, first as SNSF professor (2015), then as associate professor (2021). Since 2016, Christophe is also a group leader at the SIB Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics. In 2022, he became executive director of SIB.
Christophe has published over 100 scientific articles, and has received several awards, including the 2012 SIB Early Career Bioinformatician Award, the 2019 Overton Prize from the International Society for Computational Biology, and the 2021 Optimus Agora Prize from the Swiss National Science Foundation.
An interview is available here (English). A biography is provided in this article (English) and in
this university profile (French). There is another interview here (French) here.
Academic leadership and service
- Head of the UNIL Doctoral Program in Quantitative Biology (2018-2022)
- President of the Life Science Switzerland (LS2) Bioinformatics "Intersection"
- Conference organisation and programme committees (selected):
- ISMB/ECCB 2019, Area co-chair (Population Genomics and Molecular Evolution), EvolCompGen COSI co-chair
- ISMB 2018, COSI Proceedings
- ISMB/ECCB 2015, Area co-chair (Applied
- PC member of ECCB 2012, ISMB AFP 2013, BC 2015, AlCoB 2015, ISMB/ECCB 2015, ECCB 2016,
AFP 2017, GenoPri’18
- Co-organizer of Quest for Orthologs 2 (Hinxton, 2011), 4 (Barcelona, 2015), 5 (Los Angeles,
2017), and 6 (Nagoya, 2019)
- Co-organizer of GNOME 2014
- Co-chair of the EMBL-EBI postdoc
- Co-founder of Young European Biotech Network (2001)
- Expert witness for patent litigation, with experience in UK, US, and French cases.
Selected interviews and quotes are listed here.