Dr. Christophe Dessimoz
SNSF Professor, University of Lausanne
Associate Professor, University College London
Group leader, Swiss Institute for Bioinformatics
Christophe obtained his Master in Biology (2003) and PhD in Computer Science (2009) from ETH Zurich,
Switzerland. After a postdoc at the European Bioinformatics Institute near Cambridge (UK), he joined
University College London as lecturer (2013), then Reader (2015). In 2015, he joined the University of
Lausanne as SNSF professor, retaining an appointment at UCL, where part of his lab remains active. Since
2016, Christophe is also a group leader at the Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics.
Christophe did his first degree in Biology at ETH Zurich, Switzerland
(1999-2003). After half-year stints at Northwestern University
(Evanston, USA), Tsinghua University
(Beijing, China), and at Chulalongkorn University (Bangkok,
Thailand), he returned to ETH Zurich at the Department of Computer Science for his PhD (2004-2009),
the supervision of Gaston Gonnet.
After being promoted to teaching faculty member (2010) and senior research associate (2011) at ETH
moved to the EMBL-European Bioinformatics Institute in Hinxton, as a
visiting scientist in Nick Goldman’s group funded by
fellowship of the Swiss National Science Foundation.
He moved to University College London in 2013 as a Lecturer on a joint appointment between the Department of Genetics, Evolution & Environment and the Department of Computer Science, and was
promoted to Reader in 2015.
In autumn 2015, he joined UNIL as SNSF professor. He retains an appointment at UCL, where part of his lab
Since 2016, Christophe is also a group leader at the Swiss Institute of
An interview in English is available here. A biography is provided in this article in English and in
this older article in French. There is also an interview in French here.
Academic leadership and service
- Conference organisation and programme committees (selected):
- ISMB 2018, COSI Proceedings
- ISMB/ECCB 2015, Area co-chair (Applied
- PC member of ECCB 2012, ISMB AFP 2013, BC 2015, AlCoB 2015, ISMB/ECCB 2015, ECCB 2016,
AFP 2017, GenoPri’18
- Co-organizer of Quest for Orthologs 2 (Hinxton, 2011), 4 (Barcelona, 2015), 5 (Los Angeles,
2017), and 6 (Nagoya, 2019)
- Co-organizer of GNOME 2014
- Co-chair of the EMBL-EBI postdoc
- Co-founder of Young European Biotech Network (2001)
- Expert witness in patent disputes, with experience in the UK and in the US
Selected interviews and quotes are listed here.